Ms. Sanon's Class
Here are some of the topics that 6th, 7th, and 8th graders are doing in Math class:
* 6th - Chapter 6: Number Theory and Fractions
In this chapter, students will investigate fractions, prime and composite numbers, actors, and multiples They will relate fractions, mixed numbers, and decimals, and learn that fractions can be renamed as terminating or repeating decimals. They will solve problems of many types and use the Find a Pattern strategy to solve them.
* 7th - Rational Numbers: Decimals
In this chapter, students will:
- order integers.
- identify opposites.
- rewrite fractions with denominators that are powers of 10.
- rewrite fractions and mixed numbers as decimals.
- add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers and decimals.
- estimate decimals by rounding.
- rewrite decimals as fractions.
- understand how to solve addition and subtraction equations.
- multiply by powers of 10.
* 8th - Expressions, Equations, and Inequalities
Students need to be able to use real and rational numbers with operations before they can learn to simplify and solve expressions and equations with these number types. A firm understanding of absolute value is necessary in order for students to be able to solve absolute – value equations. They also need to be comfortable in their ability to use exponents, powers of ten, and use the LCD of fractions in order to succeed in the skills and concepts introduced in this chapter. Students need to know how to compare rational numbers and solve one- and two- step equations, as well as multistep equations with variables on either side of the equal sign and with grouping symbols before going on to solve inequalities. They also need to be proficient at locating numbers on a number line in order to graph inequalities.